About the year 1845 Macedonia Baptist Church was formed. Macedonia came to be due to the dessension over the question of missions in the old Primitive Baptist Church of Poplar Springs. A large number of the church members met and organized a Missionary Baptist Church and called it Macedonia. Among those members were Mrs. Susan Terry, J.W. Cato, W.L. & Ilizabeth Clark, Aleck Windsor, John and Salie Brightwell, and several others. The first house of Worship was built near Rural Hill Methodist church in the Centerpoint Community, about three miles from the present site and remained there until about 1860 when a new building was built where the present church now stands. The church building was completed in 1865 with services being held once each month.
In 1862 while the church was being erected, John Boyd deeded land to the church in consideration of his love for the cause of Christ and his desire to promote God's kingdom in the neighborhood. This deed was witnessed by M.B.L. Binion and W.L. Clark. The church was beautifully situated among stately oaks on a high bluff overlooking a spring of cool water. Nearby is a large city of the dead where many of the early saints lie burried.
In 1875 the Sabbath School was recognized at Macedonia, later to be called Sunday School. Mr. A.T. Fletcher served as superintendent. Others serving were J.B. McGill, J.C. Smith, C.L. Wills, H.G. Blankenship, C.O. Spann, Mrs. H.S. Hearon, Jr., W.H. Harris, Jr., and Mrs J.T. Everett Sr.
In 1920 a Womans' Missionary Society was organized with Mrs. H. C. Freeman as President, Miss Ethel Alston as Vice President, Miss Mattie Clark as Sec./Treas. and Mrs. George Clark as Sunbeam Leader.
Macedonia came into the Summerhill Association from Friendship Association in the fall of 1921 with a membership of one hundred thirteen.
In 1952 services were changed to two services each month. In the spring of that year, pastor J.W. Ham and the church saw a need for a better and larger building, especially for Sunday School. The building committee consisted of B. S. Fussell, Sr., W.S. Banks, M.H. Alston, and W.O. Fussell. Members of the original finance committee were, Mrs. J.T. Fussell, Mrs. J.G. Tatum, Mrs. B. S. Fussell Sr., Mrs. W.S. Banks, Mrs. Allen Lunsford and Mrs. W.M. West.
(2003), Macedonia Baptist Church, after many improvements, including stained glass windows, and an addition of a fellowship hall, still serves the Centerpoint Community and the surrounding area in the preaching and teaching of God's word and the promotion of His Kingdom. We have Sunday School and Worship services every Sunday at Macedonia and there are about 200 total members and an average Sunday School attendance of 60+. The congregation is lead by Rev. Robert Orr from neighboring Richland Georgia.
On March 9th 2009 construction began on an addition to Macedonia. The addition would include a Sunday school room, pastor's study, accessible bathrooms, media room a foyer, a drive through accessible entrance and to remake the front porch so that the identity of the church is not changed. See photo gallery above of the building project progression.
The building project was finished in just over three months with worship services never being interrupted. The members at Macedonia are especially enjoying the new Sunday school room, centralized sound and media room and the roomy foyer. Rev. Robert Orr still leads the congregation at Macedonia and now has an office here in the church. God has really blessed this community and church.